Cosmelan Deep Pigmentation Treatment
The Cosmelan Treatment
Cosmelan is a four-stage deep depigmentation treatment, initially performed in a clinic, with follow-up stages at home.
Hyper-pigmentation affects more than 90% of adults over the age of 50 and is also a growing concern for younger people. Caused by the overproduction of melanin in specific areas of the skin, age, genetics, hormonal imbalances, and sun damage are some of the factors which can play a part.
Any skin tone can be affected, and hyperpigmentation can cause a negative self-image, making the person affected feel unattractive or prematurely aged.
The Cosmelan deep depigmentation treatment is a process that uses multiple ingredients applied to the skin in the form of masks and creams to correct or reduce areas of hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration. It is safe for all skin tones and can produce subtle improvement or dramatic results depending on how the skin responds to the treatment, and the diligence of the client.
A Brief History
The Cosmelan pack was launched in 2002 by the world-leading aesthetic company Mesoestetic. Cosmelan was a reformulation of one of the company’s successful products, creating a product that would only require one treatment in a clinic and could then be administered by the client themselves at home over a period of months.
What to Expect
Cosmelan depigmentation mask application. Wash of at home after 8-10 hours. Instructions will be provided throughout
Homecare routine begins using only the products provided by your clinician with instructions. You will begin to see and feel the skin change and responding to the treatment.
Change the skincare routine now, guided by your clinicians’ instructions Your skin should start to look noticeably brighter with imperfections visibly reduced.
A follow-up appointment will be required and further changes to your home care routine will be advised by your clinician. Continue with the regime as directed and avoid direct sun exposure for the best results.
How it Works
The combination of chemicals in the Cosmelan 1 treatment stimulates the first layers of the skin, removing the deposits of melanin, superficially fading the pigmentation, and improving the overall texture and appearance of your skin.
The Cosmelan 2 homecare kit reaches deep down into the melanocyte where the melanin is produced, controlling its production to prevent further hyperpigmentation occurring.
Which Areas Can Cosmelan Treat?
Although it is most often applied as a face mask, Cosmelan can be used to treat other areas of the body where hyper-pigmentation occurs, such as the hands, and the décolletage.
Can It Be Combined with Other Treatments?
No, the nature of Cosmelan means it is not suitable to combine with any other depigmentation treatments. Also, you should not undergo any other cosmetic treatments before or soon after your Cosmelan treatment. Please read the section on aftercare for more information.
How Long Does It Take?
The Cosmelan 1 treatment takes around only half hour for the mask to be applied and left to dry.
However, during treatment, your clinician will take time to explain the homecare process so that you are confident to follow the homecare routine which is very important. A homecare routine leaflet will also be provided. As described above, the whole process takes a couple of months from the initial treatment session.
What Does it Feel Like?
Since the Cosmelan 1 treatment does not involve injections or incisions, it is not usually considered to be painful. Many clients report that the initial treatment session is relaxing, as the Cosmelan 1 mask feels cool and is applied to the face in a thick layer.
It is often the home regime that some clients may find more challenging. This is because Cosmelan 2 can make skin feel tight, dry, sensitive, and irritable.
You may also feel a burning sensation like sunburn and feel generally hot and uncomfortable.
You should follow the directions provided by your clinician precisely to relieve these symptoms while optimising the treatment.
How Long Do the Results Last?
How dramatic the results are will vary depending on the darkness of the pigmentation, the overall condition of the skin, and the diligence of the client in continuing to apply the Cosmelan 2 at home. It is important to set realistic goals. However, Cosmelan provides both a short-term improvement and a long-term preventative measure to the problem of hyper-pigmentation.
Results start to appear within a few days, but are usually most visible from around 3-6 weeks after treatment. Depending on your skin type and prolonged use of the Cosmelan 2 cream, results can last years and might even be permanent.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Although Cosmelan is a safe treatment, when administered by a trained professional, there are some side effects that can affect clients.
Cosmelan can be used safely on most skin tones, but adverse reactions can include redness, prolonged sensitivity to the sun, peeling, scabbing, cold sores, and as with most aesthetic treatments, there is a small risk of infection.
Your skin may feel dry, itchy and sore for up to four weeks after treatment, but you can relieve these sensations by following the directions in your home kit.
Downtime & Aftercare
Cosmelan treatments differ from many other aesthetic treatments in that much of the ‘work’ is done at home. As such, there are certain dos and don’ts you should adhere to before, during, and after the treatment, to ensure you achieve the optimal results. It is, therefore, advisable to take a week off work.
- This treatment isn’t suitable for you if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Anyone with severe cystic acne should avoid Cosmelan and seek advice from a dermatologist
- Those with very thin or sensitive skin are not suitable candidates
- If you have had any kind of facial surgery, you must wait up to 6 months (for the scars to heal completely) before having Cosmelan treatment
- Likewise, you will need to wait a designated time after undergoing any other cosmetic treatments (1 week after Botox or Dermal Fillers, 1 weeks following laser hair removal)
- Wait 1 weeks after a facial wax or using depilatory creams
- Wait a week after a microdermabrasion treatment or glycolic peel
- Stop using glycolic acid and Retin-A 2 weeks before the treatment
- Avoid using exfoliates, scrubs, and self-tanners 48 hours before the treatment
- Try to keep your skin as hydrated as possible to promote faster healing after the treatment
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
- You need to leave the mask on the skin for up to 12 hours
- Don’t touch the mask during this period and try not to smile and talk as little as possible
- You will be provided with a home care kit and instructions, follow them exactly
- Use the maintenance cream provided
- Use the Hydra Factor K cream to keep your skin moisture
- Apply SPF 50 sun protection lotion regularly throughout the day, every day
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
- Avoid central heating
- Follow the aftercare instructions given to you precisely
- Avoid wearing make-up for 2-3 days after your treatment
- Attend your follow up appointment after 1 week
- Continue to apply a high factor sun protection lotion regularly
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
We hope this blog has given you a bit of insight into what Cosmelan treatment entails, but if you would like to discuss Cosmelan or any other aesthetic treatment, please don’t hesitate to book online for a free consultation with one of our experienced aestheticians, or call 020 8286 8858 to speak with a member of our team.
*individual results may vary.
Interested in this treatment?
Get in touch!
To speak with our trusted team, leave your name, and either email or contact number, and someone will get in contact as soon as possible!